Wednesday, December 30

The New Canon of Great Guitar Solos

This is a list I officially cannot admit wanting to make, because it's a little bit stupid. But given the amount of literature about which doesn't take into account the fact that Satriani, Vai, and Slash are wankers, I thought I'd at least present an alternative list of the most important guitar solos in rock history - solos which should be studied by any prospective student for their poise, construction and effect.

1. Jimi Hendrix - Little Wing
This one's beyond question. It's one of the shortest on the list, and almost painful to listen to for that fact. One wishes it went on.
2. Eric Clapton - Crossroads
This one's textbook. It goes up, and it keeps going up. Going up is a good thing for solos to do in rock music.
3. Kurt Cobain - In Bloom
Oh yes, I did. Listen to it over and over and over again. This is the culmination of three decades of noise-guitar technique from Iggy and the Stooges and the VU down through Sonic Youth and Yo La Tengo.
4. Neil Young - Down By the River
Neil's idiosyncracies carry this one. The one-note motif at the start is really nice.
5. Eric Clapton - Sunshine of Your Love
6. Stevie Ray Vaughan - Little Wing
It's many many times longer than the original. This is how a solo should develop and how it should maintain interest.

I should note that I missed out many important instrumental tracks simply because they don't count as guitar solos and I wish to examine the solo as an institution in rock music, because that's what it is. No doubt other aspects of playing are important - but as I said before, setting the record straight on this issue, especially for beginners needing someone to look up to, is something I consider important.

No comments:

wb :

Blog Archive