Wednesday, November 10

A statement of purpose

So a very very good friend of mind exhorted me recently to re-consider my religious beliefs. I felt it would be doing her and myself a dishonour not to do so sincerely and honestly.

I read the Bible (parts of it anyway - I AM in college.) I familiarised myself with apologetics. I revisited philosophy. Mostly, I spent a good amount of time thinking.

So I'm happy to report that no conclusion has been reached other than the current affirmation of my previously-unproclaimed atheism. I wish to put this out for the world to see today - I am coming out of the closet, so to speak. I am an atheist. I believe in no God, no creator, and I do not accept Jesus as my lord and saviour. This is not a fully-considered belief. I have not familiarised myself with all the arguments at hand; I have not read all the books on the subjects or spoken to all the experts. However, I have reflected and found that no observation of mine or knowledge that I claim to have in any way supports the doctrines of any religion.

I believe in the supremacy of reason. I believe that it will be mankind's salvation. I believe that life has a purpose and a meaning, and that every human being deserves to be treated with love, compassion and respect. I have not lived up to this always, but I believe in it. I believe that science is the highest discipline man can aspire to, and that logical reasoning is the key to a life well-lived. These beliefs have borne me through the most difficult of times.

I believe in the intrinsic value of all human beings, which derives from no God and no external power other than the happiness we are miraculously able to experience and the principles we derive for ourselves, through the exercise of our intellect.

This is by no means the end of any discussion - I look forward to a life fraught with doubt, the daily challenge, and the soaring joy of finding my own way.

Adam

No comments:

wb :

Blog Archive