Monday, July 25

hate no.2

2. Technology
I despise technology with a passion. I hate it with all the sullen fiery-ness that a desert hates water. And yes, contrary to popular belief, deserts do not 'thirst' for water or anything of the sort. They hate it, that's why it's so dry.
Last month during RMUN the IT department (whom I firmly believe are some secret devil-worshipping cult) issued me a centuries-old laptop. It's called a Compaq Armada, in some sad tribute to the resilience that it obviously lacks. The first couldn't start up. Hong Quan made a trip back and demanded a replacement, which promptly crashed after five minutes of work. The third crashed when I plugged my ipod into it to store files on, and grudgingly started up when plugged into a power socket.
Also, it's the only computer i've known to actually lag seriously on microsoft word.
What gives?
But there's more. Within the last year, i've had to get a replacement for my palm (which crashed within 2 weeks of purchase), had to deal with a millenia-old phone which won't register if you press a button more than twice in a second, had to reformat my virus-plagued computer, and finally had to repair my NEW handphone which crashed within two weeks of purchase.
There's more!
The computers and printers in the library have caused me to lose my stored data at least 3 times now, and have forced me to waste $2.50 of my money printing out 5 copies of somebody else's multi-colored social studies report. Also, the internet only works sporadically, with healthy encouragement in the form of good solid thwacks.
Computers are the sort of thing spawned by the twisted minds of centuries of bureaucracy and customer service, built only to make sure you get nothing done, and go bleep when they do so.
You know what else I hate about technology? EVERYTHING. I say go back to good ol' hammer, chisel and tablet. At least they don't go bleep.

-adam

No comments:

wb :

Blog Archive