Saturday, January 14

Just had meetings for my 3 different CCAs on thursday and friday.

Writers Inc meeting on thursday. We played some ice-breaker games. There was this interesting game called 'name mix-up' which is sort of like Whacko (you have to call out someone else's name when your name is called) but you have to respond to the name on a piece of paper which you find on your chair. It's more confusing than it sounds. We were all so lifeless! Maybe we were just tired or something.

On Friday, Raffles rock auditions at 3.45. I of course didn't prepare anything, and scrapped my last-minutep plans to play 'smoke on the water' when I discovered somebody else (Edmund) was auditioning with Van Halen's 'Eruption' and some piece by Joe Satriani. Clearly, my technique loses here. So I grabbed some other guy named Boyle (sp?) and we jammed 2 minutes of improvised electric blues. ><. I think I panicked halfway through and my soloing kind of lost its feel. Oh well, they seemed impressed.
Overall i've seen a few Raffles Rock performances: not entirely impressive to be honest, but I'm in it for the CIP. We were told that we'd go once a week or once a fortnight to teach people about music, and I'm all for that.

Jazz workshop at 5.00 on the same day. I went early and we jammed for a bit - it turns out there's 2 different versions of 'the girl from ipanema' with completely different chord progressions, so there was quite a bit of confusion. The workshop opened with the J2s performing a brilliant rendition of 'the way you look tonight' in various styles (I think I still like the Bossa Nova best), following which we split up according to our instruments for more detailed lessons.
I just want to register how impressed I am with this club. They're a bunch that really knows what they're doing and what they don't, they're committed to learning. It's almost scary to conceive that the J2s will be gone in a year, and that's the amount of time we juniors have to replace them.
Anyway, auditions are next week. Will be practicing like a madman, and Wang had better follow suit.

-adam

wb :

Blog Archive