Friday, October 26

Pat Metheny Group - The Way Up

Bought this album a couple of days ago together with Brubeck plays Brubeck. A totally different experience. If hard-pressed to metaphorise, as I often am, I would describe this album as a souffle - certainly not brain food, but within its limitations it's masterfully done. I think the greatest achievement of The Way Up is how it manages to be sincerely romantic without overdoing it or become sleazy or cheesy.

The best bits, in my opinion - The section at the end of part one where the band really gets into a swing thing. The beginning of part one in all it's odd rock-ballad goodness. The re-statement of the theme in part 3 - delicate and then climactic, but always with admirable restraint given the subject material, which a lesser musician may have devolved into sloppy romantic dribble. I also personally like Lyle Mays' piano solo in part 2, although in other bits he does tend to drift into rather noodly new-age stuff.

Conclusion : It's brilliant stuff, very accessible but not inane. Only Pat Metheny could have done this.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

send me some good tracks plz kthxbye.

wb :

Blog Archive