Friday, June 13

The Pixies!

So true to my foray into the deep, mysterious and self-esteem-plagued world of punk, alternative and indie rock, I've discovered the Pixies. At first I didn't like them at all - I believe my first reaction was that they were playing the same four rather nauseating chords over again and pretending to be Mogwai - which Isn't Totally Fair because i was more accurately suffering from stomach flu and had Nirvana playing at the same time on itunes.

Their sound really grows on you though. You can tell how a generation of hippie environmentalist/political activist (I'm starin' at YOU, Bono) took to this music and made it their own somehow. Yet, there will never again be the Pixies. They are bizarre, never afraid to sound like pop music but always intelligent and always slightly off-the-wall (check out the screaming on Caribou - bet that made you jump.)

Also, Kurt Cobain apparently worshipped this band which is an interesting point to note because I like Nirvana so much and suddenly I see where Nirvana's pop roots and Kurt cobain's love of screaming came from.

Also also, I think the one possible flaw with The Pixies' approach is that fans spend FAR too much time staring at Kim Deal with their mouths slightly open. Not kidding you, I actually missed most of the 'Caribou' clip on youtube doing just that. Beware.

adam

No comments:

wb :

Blog Archive