Friday, September 5

Courtney Love saved my soul.

I guess only a particularly nasty day at SISPEC, having run 10km in the hot sun, would leave me lying half-naked on my bunk wondering about the various natures of destruction. It also led me to a pretty cathartic appreciation of Hole's two albums - Live Through This and Celebrity Skin.

Live Through This as I've mentioned is largely about blowjobs, although obliquely so, and with far more gravity than my glib post would have suggest. It is a record held together mostly by Courtney Love's incoherent rage and self-loathing, and bits of less-than-proficient guitar noise (Kurt Cobain wrote better music, but Love is at least his equal at singing...). At least one song was definitely written by Cobain himself ("Plump"), and is also about blowjobs. 'Hold you close like we both died/My ever present suicide/My stupid fuck, my blushing bride, oh tear my heart out'.

If Live Through This is constructed on rage, Celebrity Skin is made out of a comparably almost clinical destruction (I don't dare say 'deconstruction' - this might be mistaken for a book review.) Sure, the subject matter is blah blah humdrum Hollywood bitchin' but the real showcase is Courtney Love herself : she wields her rock queen/whore punk persona like a scalpel, crashing through a seething pop ditty like 'Awful' with all the ditz of the REAL dumb-blond-sellouts, but twenty thousand times the intelligence. When she's sincere, it works too - check out 'Malibu'. 'When I wake up, in my make-up, it's too early for that dress.'

adam

No comments:

wb :

Blog Archive