Saturday, September 6

notable songs

Just to remind myself.

John Coltrane - Giant Steps
The only way I can describe this is elemental. Coltrane's playing is prismatic, joyous, beautiful, fiery. I have never been tired of this piece.

Sonic Youth - Turquoise Boy
The crowning achievement of the album Rather Ripped - solidly and beautifully written. Rather Ripped showcased the very loud band's capacity for restraint, and this song shows that restraint put to rather good use, I think - everyone keeps to a simple beat and simple lines, to brilliant effect.

U2 - Kite
Opinions on the album this came from are mixed. I think this one's a success though. Simple, if a bit sentimental, but hey it's U2 and Bono can pull it off.

Arcade Fire - In The Backseat
The arrangement and the lyrics are impressive. Rather than fall to a guns-n-roses smashy crash fest (which a lesser band would totally have done) the climax actually gets quieter at its peak, invoking the melancholy of a funeral procession. A fitting end to the album.

Hole - Teenage Whore
Teenage angst dissected with canny perceptiveness by whore queen Courtney Love. 'I said I feel so alone and I wish I could die'

Husker Du - Pink Turns To Blue
Probably about Bob Mould's homosexuality. But scathingly written, depressing urban wasteland at its best. Husker Du always turned out good melodies, which distinguished them from a lot of hardcore bands.

adam


No comments:

wb :

Blog Archive