Sunday, March 23

Coltrane plays ballads

Not an album review this time - just some thoughts on balladry.

Coltrane's playing has long been revered for his speed and (more importantly, I think) ability to weld strings of hyper-fast notes into shockingly coherent, thematically layered melodies. This is beyond doubt and still amazes me every time I listen to 'Giant Steps' or his work with Miles.

I think another, less looked at (I shall not say overlooked because every aspect of his playing has been analysed and debated countless times) aspect of Coltrane's playing is his way with ballads. I find his approach to the slower songs one of the most compelling in the history of jazz music. Never letting his tone become mushy or sentimental, he still manages to be terrifically romantic by stating the melody emphatically. His directness is refreshing, and the strength (I use this word advisedly - the only way I can think to describe his approach is 'strong') of his tone reminds us that 'romanticism' contains both sentimentality and power, and cannot do without either - without power, it is wheedling and mushy (as Kenny G proves) and without sentimentality it is callous and rude (i'm looking at you, Mr. Weckl.)

I think Coltrane understood what it means to be romantic. I don't think anyone will be able to play a ballad convincingly without this kind of understanding.

adam

edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tjlz3DYmTw

Here's a video of the Coltrane quartet playing 'Everytime We Say Goodbye'.

No comments:

wb :

Blog Archive